Re: Logfiles from build

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Logfiles from build
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:18:50 +0100

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 04:35:47PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <address@hidden>
> >So when Reinhold and I say "we must not hide any errors in make",
>
> In that case, I can't see that anything I can do can prevent these
> being visible.  The only thing I can do is make it a little more
> difficult to find why the problem occurred, by directing output to
> logfiles rather than the terminal screen.

That is our concern.

> But in the long run, doing it this way must be better.

It could be.  But there are some simple precautions which we could
take right now to eliminate the downside entirely.

> With most output already in logfiles, it'll
> either be visible in the terminal, or grepping the logfiles will
> show it, or looking at the logfiles in chronological order will.

I don't think that's good enough.  You've seen various people
being confused about building the documentation over the past few
months.  I assume that there's a similar amount of confusion
happening on the translation list as well.

We absolutely do not want to add to this confusion.  Especially
when it could be avoided by adding a dozen characters to
  make/ly-rules.make
!

> >If you *are* willing, then my first "instruction/guidance" is to
> >pick ONE aspect of the build process and focus on that.  Do not
>
> The one aspect I'm concentrating on (well, slightly 2 really) is
> understanding the build process a little better, and reducing the
> clutter sent to the terminal.

The first is out of my control, so I'll talk about the second.

> The only reason I ask about whether the other errors are known
> is in case they're important and not known.

If the build succeeds (which it does), then the *warnings*
(they're not errors) are not important.  I know that's a rather
low bar, and I certainly wish that the bar was higher, but that's
just how things are in the devel community.

Ok, returning to "clutter on the terminal".  Prompted by recent
discussions, I'm now concerned that I should not have pushed
  3623cfc12bb53499a591ae45ac61931bafc6bf20

If I add some junk to one of the @lilypond inside usage/, then the
build ends with this:

-------
Processing
/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/out/lybook-db/snippet-names--25272072.lycommand
failed: /home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/out/bin/lilypond
-dbackend=eps --formats=ps,png,pdf  -dinclude-eps-fonts
-dgs-load-fonts --header=doctitle --header=doctitlecs
--header=doctitlede --header=doctitlees --header=doctitlefr
--header=doctitlehu --header=doctitleit --header=doctitleja
--header=doctitlenl --header=doctitlezh --header=texidoc
--header=texidoccs --header=texidocde --header=texidoces
--header=texidocfr --header=texidochu --header=texidocit
--header=texidocja --header=texidocnl --header=texidoczh
-dcheck-internal-types -ddump-signatures -danti-alias-factor=2 -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/out/lybook-db"  -I
"/main/src/lilypond/build/Documentation"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation"  -I
"/main/src/lilypond/build/Documentation/out-www"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/input"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation/snippets"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/input/regression"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation/included"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/mf/out"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/mf/out"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation/pictures"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/Documentation/pictures/out-www"
eader=texidoces --header=texidocfr --header=texidochu
--header=texidocit --header=texidocja --header=texidocnl
--header=texidoczh -dcheck-internal-types -ddump-signatures
-danti-alias-factor=2 -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/out/lybook-db"  -I
"/main/src/lilypond/build/Documentation"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation"  -I
"/main/src/lilypond/build/Documentation/out-www"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/input"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation/snippets"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/input/regression"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation/included"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/mf/out"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/mf/out"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/Documentation/pictures"  -I
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/Documentation/pictures/out-www"
--formats=eps  --verbose  -deps-box-padding=3.000000
-dread-file-list -dno-strip-output-dir
"/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/out/lybook-db/snippet-names--25272072.ly"
Child returned 1
make: *** [out-www/usage.texi] Error 1
address@hidden:~/src/lilypond/build/Documentation$
-------

with my memory of recent discussions, I know to look in
/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/out/lybook-db/snippet-names--25272072.log
for hints, but that's not at all obvious from just looking at the
command-line output.  Inside that file, the error is on line 270
out of 980... but at least if I search for "error" in that file,
that's the only thing that pops up.

Before pushing any other changes to the build process, I want it
to say "look at xyz.log".