Re: Logfiles from build

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Logfiles from build
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:32:22 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
[snip]
with my memory of recent discussions, I know to look in
/home/gperciva/src/lilypond/build/out/lybook-db/snippet-names--25272072.log
for hints, but that's not at all obvious from just looking at the
command-line output.  Inside that file, the error is on line 270
out of 980... but at least if I search for "error" in that file,
that's the only thing that pops up.

Before pushing any other changes to the build process, I want it
to say "look at xyz.log".

This kind of issue prompted my suggestion about gathering the logfiles in a consistent place. I don't think it's likely that we'll be able to prompt people to look there as a result of an error message from make, but we should definitely give this guidance in the CG.

This is also part of the reason I wanted the "quiet" build to be a user-selectable option - if you're confident you know what's happening in the build, you switch that on; otherwise it defaults to how it used to be.

--
Phil Holmes