Re: Logfiles from build

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Logfiles from build
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 08:04:10 -0600

On 11-06-17 02:34 AM, Phil Holmes wrote:
I realise I may be on thin ice here...

As many will know, I'm trying to reduce the clutter that appears on screen as lily's build progresses. A key way of doing this is by redirecting output to log files. If you've recently done a make doc and look in build/out/lybook-db you'll see some of the results of this.

I'm now thinking it would actually be better to gather all the output from make in a single directory, something like build/makelogs. That way, you'd only need to look in one place for any failing logged output, and it would probably be the most recent that gives the clues.

Does this seem like the best way to proceed?

Yes, please! With a minor caveat that /lilypond-git/build is an arbitrary location, particularly the "build" part: in a fit of madness, I've compiled lilypond in a directory called arthur, so directory names should be relative rather than absolute. The idea of a single location for logs is certainly attractive, especially given the depth and complexity of both the sources and output.

Colin

--
A chief event of life is the day in which we have encountered a mind
that startled us.