echo but return false in make (was: Logfiles from build)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: echo but return false in make (was: Logfiles from build)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:35:19 +0100

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 02:18:55PM -0400, Julien Rioux wrote:
> On 17/06/2011 2:11 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
> >Again, on the shell, it would be something like this:
> >  make ...blah... || echo "build failed" && tail logfile
> >but there might be a nicer way to do it.
>
> but then when blah fails, make will not stop, since the return
> status from echo && tail is a success (assuming the log file
> exists). How would you return failure and force make to stop?

Interesting, I hadn't considered that.  Hmm, is there such a thing
as functions in bach?  If so, it would be easy to return something
after doing the echo.

Of course, we can't guaranteed that bash will be present... does
sh(1) allow functions?  Or can we write functions in make, or
stepmake?  Or do the same thing with macros somehow, if make has
macros but not functions?

The short answer is that I cannot believe that we've exhausted all
options yet.  I want Phil to look into those options; of course I
welcome any suggestions from people on this list.  But off the top
of my head, I'd say that we can't possibly say that we're out of
ideas until we've spent at least 5 hours googling and/or reading
documentation about make and/or experimenting with make and
stepmake.