Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from makedo

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from makedoc)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:21:53 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>

0. (meta-question)  do we think that we can resolve this once and
for all right now, or should we wait a month to cover it as a
GOP-PROP ?  If we discuss it now, then I do *not* want to have it
left hanging (as we've done the last 3-4 times we discussed it).
I want to have a definite decision; I personally don't care what
that decision is.

I think we need to cover it properly - based on past experience it's likely to generate some heated discussion. I'd go with "wait a month and have it as a GOP-PROP".

I also think we should discuss general "quietening" of make. Should it always generate as little output as possible, consistent with seeing errors, or should that be restricted to when using the QUIET_BUILD flag?

--
Phil Holmes