Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from make d

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: stdout vs. stderr (was: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:30:38 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> > Stdout is used for valuable program output, stderr for any kind of
> > message, including progress.  The name stdERR is possibly somewhat
> > unfortunate and comes from the days that unix commands would only
> > print something (to stdERR) if there was an error.  No news
> > [was considered to be] good news.

And now that users want some good news "successful completion" messages, we
still want it to be separate from the program output on stdout.  I still want
to use :

  \displayLilyMusic \transpose f d \relative c' {
    \key des\major
    des\p\< f as des\f
  }

c:\> lilypond test > transposed_motif.ly

> Questions for those involved:

What does Lilypond currently put on stdout ?
The output of \displayLilyMusic and \displayMusic; anything else?