Re: does anybody care about LSR?

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: does anybody care about LSR?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:57:58 -0700 (PDT)

Graham Percival-3 wrote:

> I was discussing LSR with Phil, and it occurred to me that I
> should raise the question here.  What do we want from LSR?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, no I don't care about LSR; the people who
> wanted it in the first place aren't maintaining it; we haven't had
> a flood of users volunteering to take care of it.  This experiment
> with "user-generated content" hasn't shown a clear net benefit to
> the project, and as more and more people use lilydev and send in
> patches, the need for something like LSR lessens.
>
> I'm suggesting that we just dump the whole thing on Phil.  He can
> choose how picky (or not) to be about explanations, indentation,
> looking for duplicates, etc.
>

> If somebody here *does* care, then speak up.

yes, sure i care about LSR - and i think i've proved that by contributing a
few little things.  (and reading a lot of it)

the LSR has also been the source of many good ideas and solutions i did
find.

once you know (or you think to know) Lilypond and you look for an approach
to a new problem it's just great to see that others have approached similar
problems and maybe solved them. some problems always remain!

i'm convinced that many LSR solutions will one day become part of the
regular Lilypond and documentation - some of them already did it! - and some
others will be picked up and improved before taking that way.

i'm not offering to touch the code behind LSR - whatever that means. i'm
just happy if i can make an effective search in LSR. but this does not seem
to be effective in every case ( i'm preparing a mail to the LSR maintainer)

> 1. nobody is offering to touch the code behind it.  So don't say
> "hey, it would be great if LSR could automatically xyz" unless you
> think you can program the xyz yourself.

that's embarassing… - many programmers have good ideas but they don't know
if anybody wants that - so they leave it; if anybody express what they would
like, they might quickly find a good solution to it!

> 2. anybody with the source code can do much more efficient work by
> editing stuff in git directly.  The only point of LSR is to
> provide a quick, easy, automated repository for non-git people, so
> whenever somebody with git access touches LSR, it's a net loss for
> the project.

that's a barrage to all musicians not programming (or knowing git)!

hoping my message is clear - don't shut off LSR, improve it in this or
another way, make technical or new semantic improvements, find new
aggregation models to group the snippets…

thanks!
Eluze