Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (update)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (update)
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 15:13:05 -0700

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 13:19:23 -0700, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:04:11AM -0700, Keith OHara wrote:

We could use a regexp pre-filter to add space where gnu-style wants it, and use
that as a model to support the request for a new option in astyle.

Ok, but we'd still need to remove the space in ") )" or ") ]" in
post-processing, right?

Not post-processing.  Better to just leave off the --pad-paren-out options, so
that astyle never adds the evil spaces.

And are we ok without having a facility
to skip over comments and strings?

No.  The script fixcc.py skips over comments and strings during its pre-filter.
 Maybe I can create an analogous astylecc.py in an hour or so.

[...] but I'd still want to run fixcc.py on the entire repo.

Why run an indenter over the entire repository?
Simply having the indenter tool available for individual commits would solve
the problem.

 # add space before (, except in macro definitions
 sed -i -e '/#\s*define/!s/\([)_[:alnum:]]\)(/\1 (/g' $*

Hmm.  This line gives me control characters, such as

+      && !dir_.empt^A ())

Maybe my posting method inserted a non-breaking space in the sed script.