Re: Converting ly to musicxml

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Converting ly to musicxml
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:46:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, cab wrote:

This is something I proposed to the French users list earlier this year and it got a lukewarm response from the community (save several well-thought-out responses from Scheme and/or musicxml and/or accessibility enthusiasts). I have started some sketches for this type of code, and it is certainly possible, especially if you do not include position information. Contact me if you'd like to talk more about this and I'll dig up the sketches I've already done in Scheme.

Actually, I am really interested, but I am wondering why you used scheme
, is it because you are doing this recursively ?
Is it because it is easier to parse ly files with scheme (I don't know
this language yet ) ?

I guess the idea was to make it possible to export MusicXML directly from Lilypond (just like midi, png, pdf, and postscript), re-using Lilypond parsing-code that is available anyway? And Scheme is the language that integrates perfectly with Lilypond? That would be better/easier to develop than a separate python tool?

Correct me if I am wrong, I am not a scheme coder.

--

MT