Re: Adds redirect-lilypond-output option to lilypond-book(issue4664060)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds redirect-lilypond-output option to lilypond-book(issue4664060)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:26:18 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:59 AM

address@hidden writes:

in light of the growing consensus for "combined" logfiles for the build
system -- and given that lilypond only produces stuff on stderr and
apparently this isn't going to change -- I wonder if it might be better
to redirect both stdout and sterr to a single .log file.

Redirecting two file pointers to the same file has a tendency to wreak
havoc with buffering.

So it is not something I am overly comfortable with.

My understanding (which is certainly not perfect) is that one of the stream is buffered (stdout from memory, without checking) and the other isn't, so that the worst that happens is that the lines are not quite in the order that might be expected.

--
Phil Holmes