Re: Adds redirect-lilypond-output option to lilypond-book (issue4664060)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Adds redirect-lilypond-output option to lilypond-book (issue4664060)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:01:10 -0700

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 03:56:59PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
> >in light of the growing consensus for "combined" logfiles for the build
> >system -- and given that lilypond only produces stuff on stderr and
> >apparently this isn't going to change -- I wonder if it might be better
> >to redirect both stdout and sterr to a single .log file.
>
> I'd like to propose as a GOP topic that we _do_ change how LilyPond
> produces output.  Only using stderr is by no means common in the
> world of GNU-type programs.

I'm totally willing to have such a discussion, but please make
sure that you have specific examples of GNU-type programs which
behave in this manner.  A few very experienced unix people
apparently think otherwise.

Fortunately, this is a simple empirical question; looking at half
a dozen GNU programs should settle it once and for all.  Since
you're the one working on the proposal, the onus is on you to find
examples which support your case.  (and to be fair in the ensuing
discussion, if you find examples which detract from your case, it
would be nice to include those too)