Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (update)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (update)
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:46:52 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>

>>I think there should be an option to turn it all back on if you want
>>- a sort of inverse of QUIET_BUILD.  We should also get rid of the
>>QUIET_BUILD variable completely.
>
>Agreed.  Maybe using the V=1 thing that Jan was talking about?

That sort of thing.  I'd propose a variable called VERBOSE that
would have to be set to get the output on screen.

I think we should use whatever variable is normally used for this
task.  That may well be VERBOSE, but if it's something else, I
think we should use that something else.  Or maybe it's normally
done with either VERBOSE or V ?

I'd be happy with anyone to say what is standard. LilyPond uses -V/--verbose. Make uses -d/-debug. That said, it wouldn't be a command line switch in this case - it would be a variable definition.

--
Phil Holmes