Re: GOP-PROP 6: private mailing lists

From: address@hidden
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:22:57 +0200

On Jul 22, 2011, at 1:59 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

> ** Private list membership?
>
> If we want to pursue a private mailing list, rather than “whoever
> Graham thinks/remembers to cc”, then the obvious question is “who
> should be on it?”.
>
> My initial thought is to keep it small – say, 5 people. Other than
> me, Han-Wen, and Jan, I have no firm ideas about who else.
>
> The list of members should be public.

I actually like the solution "whoever Graham thinks/remembers to cc."
If someone wants to have a private discussion about accordion symbols versus
vertical spacing, those are two different lists of people that would bring the
most useful contributions (with a bit of overlap).

Otherwise, I don't mind private lists at all (be they ad hoc or recurrent) - it
is an extension of free speech and free assembly, both of which seem to be in
keeping with the idea of "free" software.  So long as the entirety of the git
repo remains cloneable, modifiable, and resetable, I'm happy.

Cheers,
MS