Re: GOP-PROP 6: private mailing lists

From: Trevor Daniels
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:31:42 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote Friday, July 22, 2011 7:20 PM

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

I would be in favour of a fixed private mailing list with publicly
known members to decide a publicly known list of issues,
including the obvious granting/withdrawing git push access,
but probably little else. Membership should be either Graham,
Han-Wen and Jan, or these three supplemented by two others.
Requests for a private discussion would be sent to this list,
avoiding the single-Graham point of failure.

Once again, you make some excellent points.However if said list has to be limited to *five* people, I do question the need for a mailing list
at all, rather than merely CCing whomever needs to be CCed.

Well, a list serves at least two purposes.  The list name is made
public so external organisations as well as LilyPond users can
easily mail it.  And it removes the single point of failure.

I'm less sure about making archives public.  Do we really want to
know five years later what discussions went on before so-and-so
was granted git push access?  What purpose would that serve?

Trevor

Trevor