Re: LilyPond releases and GLISS roadmap

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LilyPond releases and GLISS roadmap
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:53:05 -0700

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:49:40AM +0200, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
> Is there a roadmap of future releases of LilyPond (2.16, 2.18, 3.0),

That discussion will happen in GOP:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/policy-decisions

> as well as a roadmap for the GLISS available somewhere on the LilyPond
> website?

That is not yet written.

> Actually there has been a request on the French users mailing list that
> is actually issue #1316, which is currently "Priority-Postponed" waiting
> for the GLISS.

It will wait some more.

> On CG 14.5 "Grand LilyPond Input Syntax Standardization (GLISS)" it is
> said that
>
>   [GLISS will start] sortly after 2.14 comes out, which is currently
>   estimated to happen in January 2011.

I suppose I should change that.

> Where could we find up-to-date information about future LilyPond
> releases and "Grand Projects" roadmaps?

You can't.

I do 10 hours a week.  I'm not going to start GLISS until I have
at least 4 weeks of GOP policy questions prepared for discussion,
and at least 2 weeks of GLISS material prepared.  The more
"mundane tasks" people do, the more time I'll have for "unusual"
stuff like GOP and GLISS.

Admittedly, Colin and James are doing a fantastic job of keeping
patches rolling along for the past few weeks.  I've fallen behind
because I'm at the annual family music camp.
  http://wcams.com/
which we do a lot of organizing for, in addition to attending for
about 20 years now (I missed 2 years in that period, so I'm only
at 18 years so far).

This year, I'm skipping the main orchestra in order to keep
up-to-date with lilypond emails (much to the disgust of some other
violinists here who feel that I'm "letting down the team" by not
playing in the orchestra).  So I still have 10 hours left this
week, and that will carry over into next week.

With that extra time, I hope to schedule GOP stuff for all of
August and even reaching into Sep.  Once that's done, I'll do more
preparation for GLISS, but I would be surprised if we start that
in August.  Depends a lot of how many release issues there are for
2.16.