Review music functions with pitch and duration arguments (was: Music fun

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Review music functions with pitch and duration arguments (was: Music functions with pitch and duration arguments)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 00:22:40 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ah, I forgot.  LGTM then.
>
> I'll try fudging up documentation for it,

Frankly, music function docs are awful.  I've polished them up somewhat
with the new info.  The result is not really satisfactory but better
than before.

> and I'll check the perspectives for minimizing the combinations of
> duration and music arguments that are not either accepted or flagged
> with a proper error message rather than a generic syntax error.

Looks pretty good now with regard to accepting stuff as long as a music
argument is not followed by a duration argument.  If it is, the current
reaction is still a syntax error.  Not all too pretty, but not a
regression either.

> With regard to merging: this is an incompatible change since arguments
> of type ly:pitch? or ly:duration? previously asked for Scheme arguments
> like
> #(ly:make-pitch ... or #(ly:make-duration
>
> The Lilypond codebase does not contain such music function arguments I
> think.  It should actually work to convert them to
> #(ly:export (ly:make-pitch ...
> so there is a straightforward (but more likely than not untowardly
> awkward) migration path.
>
> Apart from this change in semantics, this should not cause
> regressions.

I put the current state up on Rietveld at
<URL:http://codereview.appspot.com/4811047>

I don't have a usage example to go with the patch though.  If somebody
has something nice to offer...