Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 2?)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 2?)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:55:09 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 11:30 AM

Am Donnerstag 28 Juli 2011, 08:25:25 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
Graham Percival writes:
> You mean, like
>
>   23cdda9506931d5b9a1e75ee8be8b74f9084a7c0
>
> ?

Yes (I would have called the option --log).

> I'd call it 20% rather than 90%, but yes, Phil's work on
> lilypond-book will certainly be valuable!

Assuming that --redirect-lilypond-output is used during build now, you
mention 500,000 and 370,000 lines of output for make doc.  Am I assuming
correctly that currently make doc prints 130,000 lines?  Which programs
are responsible for that?

Currently, the doc build is calling lilypond in verbose mode, creating
thousands of unnecessary lines like

[snip]

Reinhold - I've been looking at the build system in some depth and am very well aware of this. I suggested turning off verbose mode and was told that it was sometimes useful to see whay a build had failed. That's part of the reason for resorting to the logfile suggestion.

The other thing is that all commands called by make are echoed on the console,
always including several lines of include pathes.  While this might sound
useful, in fact it isn't because the exact command does not help you. make
seems to set some env variables, too, so exactly duplicating the command
called in make does not work. In particular, the Python includes cannot be
found.
I encountered this when trying to debug musicxml support in lilypond book:
calling lilypond-book exactly as printed by make does NOT find lilylib!

Ditto. FWIW if you want to suppress make echoes, make -s (silent) will do this.

--
Phil Holmes