Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 2?)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 2?)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:31:22 +0200

Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2011, 18:56:36 schrieben Sie:
> > However, in the docs build, we are not interested in how lilypond
> > works internally, but rather where a doc build fails due to bad
> > input in a .ly or .tely file.
>
> I suggest a different route: Normally, after an error message has been
> emitted, a developer wants to debug the problem.  In most cases, the
> problem is with the lilypond binary itself,

That's where I would disagree. Typically a *doc* build fails due to a typo in
the documentation (i.e. wrong lilypond code in an example included in the
docs).

All problems with the lilypond binary itself should have already failed the
regtests (in theory, of course).

> What about reducing the verbosity as much as possible, but make
> lilypond-book emit something like:
>
>    Error `foo' encountered while processing file `file-XXX'!
>    lilypond's error message: blablabla
>    The used command line was
>
>       FOO=bar lilypond --pdf -d... -d... file-XXX.ly
>
>    A command line to debug the problem can be found in file
>    `file-XXX-debug.sh'.
>
> if an error is happening?

Yes, that would be *extremely* helpful (not only for the lilypond
documentation, but also to other lilypond-book users). The only question is:
who will implement it? ;-)

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886