Re: GOP-PROP 7: Developers as resources

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 7: Developers as resources
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:00:31 -0700

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 09:56:38AM +0200, Jan Warchoł wrote:
> 2011/7/28 Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> > However, if you do sign up
> > for a concert, then you are normally only allowed to miss one
> > rehearsal.
>
> And what happens if they miss more?

In orchestra?  The section leader would have a quiet chat with
them, find out if it's a one-time emergency, or something.  Maybe
take them off the concert list?  I don't really know; I haven't
noticed it happening.  AFAIK everybody has always been reasonable
about it.

> What will happen if we sign up to a team and not do our
> "homework"?

Same idea?  Team leader has a chat with you, and in extreme cases
would just stop assigning you work to do.  I don't think this is a
huge worry -- we're all reasonable people wanting to make lilypond
better.

> > If we had a central authority leading a team (or teams) of
> > developers – or at least, leading developers for X hours a week –
>
> The question is, who will it be.

*shrug*

All I know is that it can't be me for the remainder of 2011.  In
the first place I'd be an iffy choice due to my relative
inexperience with lilypond programming, but the main reason is
that I'm needed to run GOP and GLISS.

We could have rotating leaders -- Carl for a month while they work
on fret stuff, Neil for two months while they work on fundamental
scheme stuff, Keith for a month while they work on spacing stuff,
Bertrand for a month while they work on ancient notation?

A lot would depend on who, if anybody, wanted to volunteer for
both "team leader" positions and "team member" positions.

> What about new contributors?  It would be bad to tell them "you want
> get much help on this during next 5 months, come back again in
> December when we'll discuss fonts."

This would be in addition to the normal "help" we give to
contributors.  So your job as Frog Meister would continue, the job
of the Patch Meister would continue to put stuff on countdowns,
and the shared job of "reviewing stuff that will be pushed in 48
hours if nobody finds a mistake" will continue.

> Additional idea: when there are teams, work can be split.  One person
> can research proper notation, another write the code, another prepare
> some regtests, another write docs.  Not everyone is good with all
> these.

Certainly!