Re: font: change breve vertical lines (issue4748044)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: font: change breve vertical lines (issue4748044)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:36:14 +0200

2011/7/29  <address@hidden>:
>> Aww, i was so proud of this code...
>
> :-)
>
>> Frankly, i don't think we will gain anything from defining
>> a global value.  The algorithm i wrote is a bit complicated,
>> but i thinks is easier to understand than what you suggest
>> (if i understood your suggestion correctly).  It keeps
>> things in one place instead of values flying all around (at
>> least that's how i see it).
>
> Just to make it clear: Let's call my hypothetical variable
> `line-height'.  Then we would have in file `feta-noteheads11.mf' the
> line
>
>  line-height := 10
>
> in file `feta-noteheads13.mf' the line
>
>  line-height := 15
>
> etc. (the values are just for demonstration purposes).  Not really
> complicated or confusing IMHO.

I understand.
However, i prefer having it in one place.  After all, it's not needed
anywhere else, nothing depends on it (unlike design_size).

> Just imagine that your algorithm yields the value 13 for size 13, but
> you want to use 15 since this looks better.  How would you deal with
> that?

On the other hand, if you wanted to make a systematic change (i.e.
increase value by 2 everywhere), using algorithm is cleaner.

> Add another exception to your algorithm, or redesign it completely?

Probably redesign.  Everything that can reasonably be described by an
algorithm should be done so (in my opinion).  If an algorithm exists,
it explains why things are the way they are; it can also be applied in
cases not originally predicted by the author.
In this case i think the algorithm approach is reasonable, but I don't
feel extremely strongly about that.

cheers,
Janek