Re: Ugliness in the Learning Manual

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Ugliness in the Learning Manual
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 14:21:06 -0700

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 09:36:34PM +0100, Maximilian Albert wrote:
> P.S.: Since Graham mentioned getting rid of environment variables:
> only very recently have I started to appreciate the enormous value
> they have once you work on systems where things are just slightly
> different than what everyone considers to be standard because everyone
> uses Ubuntu (I'm exaggerating, of course) - or even just for testing
> different configurations on the same system. So personally I'd say try
> to keep them if at all possible. Just my two cents.

I'm talking about making the variables explicit.  Right now, you
can copy&paste a line from the build system output that fails
within the build but works perfectly well on your command-line
(and vice-versa).  That makes it hard to debug stuff.

If we print the variables for each command, then there'll be no
such confusion.  (or at least, if we print any non-standard or
unusual variables -- I'm not suggesting that we need to print the
PATH for every command!)