Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 20:44:52 +0100

On 9 August 2011 20:21, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

> So having only 9 warnings in our codebase (four of which are in the
> lexer/parser, which hardly anyone of us really understands!) is amazing.

There are many more warnings (> 180) if you're compiling a 64-bit
binary.  They could be silenced via casting, but Han-Wen isn't in
favour of that approach (http://codereview.appspot.com/1724041/):

"* Why are all the casts there?  Is this a 64 bit compiler thing?  Lily compiles
virutally without warnings over here (core duo, gcc 4.4.4).  I think all the
casting hinders readability, so I propose to not add casts unless necessary.  If
the warnings bother you, add a targeted -Wno-xxx option to the Makefile.  I
doubt that there are any cases where there is the risk of a real error."

>> out/parser.cc:2392: warning: conversion to 'short int' from 'int'
>> may alter its value
>> /lily/lexer.ll:634: warning, rule cannot be matched
>> /lily/lexer.ll:637: warning, rule cannot be matched
>> /lily/lexer.ll:706: warning, -s option given but default rule can be
>> matched
>
> Anyone here who knows more about the lexer and the parser?

The parser.cc warning is from code generated by Bison.

I'm not sure about the two `rule cannot be matched' warnings, though
both lines have been there sice 1997 and removing them doesn't seem to
cause any problems.

Cheers,
Neil