Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:23:13 +0200

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 04:34:57PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> >I'm afraid I'm with Reinhold. As a *programmer*, I consider it very bad
> >practice to ignore warnings. For the system to hide them from me, well !!!
>

> They're not being ignored.  They're not even being seen.  Please address my
> point of how you would see them in 37,000 lines of console output.

Many people are building *any* large projects with something like

        make 2>&1 | tee m.log

and then look at m.log after the build. I do so, and I do so by
default.  When building distribution packages for OpenBSD, I also
log the complete output of extracting, patching, configuring,
building and installing and look at that log file. I won't look at
any project specific logfiles.

Important stuff *has* to go to stdout or stderr. If every project
would invent its own way to hide important messages from stdout/stderr
*by default* and put them into project specific logfiles, it would
a hell for everyone who's porting those project to specific operating
system distributions.

I don't want to have to look *where* too look for warnings and
errors.

However, the normal build output won't be touched, as Graham wrote.
It's only about the doc output for now, if I understood Graham
correctly.

Ciao,
        Kili