Re: merging regtests

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: merging regtests
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:30:37 +0200

Am Montag, 5. September 2011, 23:09:14 schrieb Janek Warchoł:
> May i ask for a very short explanation of what was wrong?  Were there
> too many regtest files in the directory and this made it impossible to
> compile them, and therefore check them?

The makefile in input/regression/ collects all regtests in the variable
COLLATED_FILES. For an out-of-source build, each regtest will have the
absolute path, which for a gub build was >130 characters for the source
directory.

Now the problem is that we have >1000 regtests, each of which has an absolute
path >131 chars. As a consequence the list in COLLATED_FILES had more than
131000 characters, which was then passed to the lys-to-tely script on the
command line.
On the other hand, the Linux kernel allows the command line to have a maximum
length of a little more than 131000 characters...

So the build of the regtests failed in make, since it couldn't execute the
lys-to-tely call.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886