Re: A few remarks concerning \relative

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: A few remarks concerning \relative
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:23:20 +0100

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 07:54:11AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

>    * The pitch of the first note is relative to `STARTPITCH'.
>      `STARTPITCH' is specified in absolute octave mode, and it is
>      recommended that it be a octave of `c'.
>
> Why c?

Because C is the default "base note" in western classical music.
I have no clue why we didn't call A major the key with no sharps
or flats, but that's the legacy we're left with.  Most people
think of octaves happening from C to C.

> (in Documentation/notation/input.itely).  You get g', a, b, d, do', re'
> (an I am not talking about translations here!).  But the idea of taking
> f' seems to be not taken.  Pity: I consider it clever.

Ah, but clever solutions are a bad idea!  ;)

> Then we also have:
>
>    If no `STARTPITCH' is specified for `\relative', then `c'' is
>    assumed.  However, this is a deprecated option and may disappear in
>    future versions, so its use is discouraged.
>
> Note that if that syntax is discontinued, then \relative can be
> implemented as a music function.

Well, I've been wanting to get rid of it for years.  I was only
waiting for GLISS.