Re: do we want special versions of the accidentals for use with text?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: do we want special versions of the accidentals for use with text?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:04:14 +0200 (CEST)

> I think the solution is to create a shorter variaton of accidental
> glyphs; an example in the attachment.  How do you like this idea?
> Do you think all accidentals should have shorter versions, or would
> it be overkill to create for example a shorter version of 3-stemmed
> sharp or arrowed flat?

Basically, I like the idea.  However, it is an illusion IMHO to
believe that such glyphs will fit all text fonts.  As David has
mentioned already, many fonts contain (usually ugly) text versions of
accidentals which should fit the font's height.

For figured bass, the situation is different: Here we use LilyPond's
digit font, which is completely under our control, and having
accidentals fitting those digits better is a good thing.

    Werner