Re: GOP-PROP 12: keep master in ready-to-release state

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 12: keep master in ready-to-release state
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 04:22:47 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> If that makes you pause and wonder if
> you should really push a particular patch (because it would leave
> something hanging or unfinished), then put that on a separate
> branch and/or upload to rietveld instead of pushing to master.

I like the Reitveld option, if it means completing the review
for the patches that need review even if they leave something
hanging, then waiting to push the complete set of patches as a
group.

Changes and fixes often need a convert-ly rule or documentation
change.  Generally I don't have a doc change ready for review at
the time that I want review on the code (and the one time I did
get the docs ready up-front, I was sorry I did).

> In addition, modifications which change a lot of output (such as
> fonts or spacing tweaks) could be “saved up” and applied in a
> special release which only contains those.

That presumes, however, that there is someone willing to build
that special release.

The saving up should be easy. (Notice that my change-everything
spacing fixes were pushed within a day of the change-everything
adjustment of the G-clef.)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:31:14AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>
> > It is quite easy now for anyone to download a patch from
> > Reitveld to check it compiles, runs the reg tests and
> > builds docs successfully.
>
> I don't think it's "quite easy".  [...]

Well, interpret "quite easy" as "something we do anyway so it
feels quite easy".

Everything else Trevor said sounds wise to me as well.