Re: automatic daily checker

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: automatic daily checker
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 00:12:13 +0100

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 01:03:08AM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Friday, 23. September 2011, 00:52:24 schrieb Graham Percival:
> > It automatically keeps track of the last "known good" compile, so
> > if it ever fails, you know that somebody did something naughty
> > since the last time you ran it.  No guessing about "well, I think
> > I compiled it last night at around 10pm, but it wasn't a
> > completely clean build, so maybe it happened before then but it
> > didn't recompile that or xyz".
>
> FWIW, I'm rebuilding binaries and docs from scratch every night on my office
> machine to create the docs on http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond, so we already
> have some kind of daily compilation check...

However,
- you're not building them from scratch
- you don't keep a record of which commits could build
- AFAIK you don't check the logs daily -- at least, I haven't seen
  you emailing -devel saying "somebody broke git master between
  ab12345 and ef6787"

If somebody breaks git master, I don't want anybody to find out
because their build failed.  I want an automatic script to
discover the failing, and tell me BEFORE I try to do any work.
Granted, there's a trade-off between compiling every single commit
vs. available computer power, but I still wish that nobody was
ever surprised that git master failed to compile.

This script is also the first step towards an automatic
dev/staging branch, but I want the basics tested before I move
ahead to work on that stuff.