Re: automatic daily checker

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: automatic daily checker
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 01:30:47 +0200

Am Friday, 23. September 2011, 01:12:13 schrieben Sie:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 01:03:08AM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > FWIW, I'm rebuilding binaries and docs from scratch every night on my
> > office machine to create the docs on http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond, so
> > we already have some kind of daily compilation check...
>
> However,
> - you're not building them from scratch

I am. I nuke the build dir before each build.

> - you don't keep a record of which commits could build

Nope.

> - AFAIK you don't check the logs daily -- at least, I haven't seen
>   you emailing -devel saying "somebody broke git master between
>   ab12345 and ef6787"

If a build fails, I get a mail from the cronjob (which contains also the ~200
last output lines from make). However, since the error message is usually
buried in thousands of lines of make commands and debug output, I usually
don't bother to even try to find the error message.

> If somebody breaks git master, I don't want anybody to find out
> because their build failed.  I want an automatic script to
> discover the failing, and tell me BEFORE I try to do any work.
> Granted, there's a trade-off between compiling every single commit
> vs. available computer power, but I still wish that nobody was
> ever surprised that git master failed to compile.

Sure, I understand this - and I certainly like it. I just wanted to point out
that I'm already doing automated nightly builds, although detecting build
failures is not the main purpose, but rather a byproduct.

> This script is also the first step towards an automatic
> dev/staging branch, but I want the basics tested before I move
> ahead to work on that stuff.

I haven't looked at it, but Jenkins (http://jenkins-ci.org/) is about
continuous integration (i.e. automated builds to detect build failures or
regtest failures). It might be overkill for us, but still, there are solutions
for exactly this task.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886