Re: GOP-PROP 12: keep master in ready-to-release state (probable decisio

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 12: keep master in ready-to-release state (probable decision)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:55:17 +0100

Graham Percival

Developers doing medium-large fixes: examples include beam
collisions, music function rewriting, Flag grobs, etc. All this
work should go on separate branches (e.g. dev/flag-grob,
dev/scheme-music-functions). Once the code is merged, the branch
should be removed. People can still use dev/myname instead, but I
think that naming these branches after the feature (or bugfix)
will be more clear.

How would this code be reviewed?  Do you envisage still
uploading to Reitfeld?  Would this be before pushing to
dev/* or after?  I still think this is a complication too far.
Certainly it needs more thought and comment from the 'big'
developers before being adopted.

My preference is for a single staging branch.  Major patches
would be pushed there rather than to master after a successful Reitfeld review, and only cherry-picked to master after successful tests (eg doc build) by someone authorised to do so.

Trevor

-----
No virus found in this message.