Re: What is -dold-relative and why do we need it?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What is -dold-relative and why do we need it?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 12:48:52 +0200

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 05:18:16PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> and it is queried in quite a few places.  Lilypond 1.8 seems like a
>> rather old version to support.
>>
>> Do we really need to have this around?  Anybody even knows what it does?
>
> IIRC, old-relative had to do with the behavior of relative octaves
> and repeats -- should the second alternative be based on the last
> note *before* the first alternative, or the last note *inside* the
> first alternative.

Sounds plausible.

> I would rather postpone any discussion about keeping this until
> the GOP proposal on deprecation.  Vaguely scheduled for Dec.

I actually asked this question because it was blocking me on tackling
the "remove \relative from the grammar" patch currently sitting in
dev/staging.  However, I figured out I had to write at least one
supportive ly:* C function anyway, and so I just transplanted the old
code from parser.yy literally into that function and thus postponed
thinking about the question.

Code like that does make it harder to do changes.