Re: Does lilypond 2.15.x support guile 2.0 yet?

From: Dave Plater
Subject: Re: Does lilypond 2.15.x support guile 2.0 yet?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:59:01 +0200

On 09/26/2011 07:18 PM, Julien Rioux wrote:
On 26/09/2011 2:18 PM, Dave Plater wrote:
On 09/26/2011 10:31 AM, Graham Percival wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 09:54:18AM +0200, Dave Plater wrote:
Lilypond won't even be able to be installed via tarball on openSUSE
12.1 without the user removing guile 2.0 completely and installing
guile 1.8 via tarball, as a result these users of lilypond and
rosegarden will drop openSUSE.

I believe that users can run GUB no problem. We ship our own
guile-1.8 precisely to avoid this kind of trouble.

Well so far I have help from the openSUSE guile maintainer in creating
dual guile versions so it looks like all will be well after all.

Dave

How do you configure lilypond so that it is built against your guile1 instead
of the system-wide guile? I tried to do this recently but
could not figure it out. I ended up removing guile completely and reinstalling,
which took much longer.

I haven't got that far yet but in my case I'll most probably either rename the problem guile libs and executables or link them. The libraries should have their natural names as they should be versioned and the devel packages will be mutually exclusive due to name clashes. /usr/bin/guile-snarf will have to be renamed but the "--program-suffix=1" switch appends a 1 to it during build, guile-tools has been replaced in guile 2.0.2 so it can simply be renamed back to guile-tools during install with no ill effect, guile-config is depreciated and no longer used so it can be deleted. Basically as long as the other packages on the system don't use guile 2.0 executables and have been built against the libraries and the libraries install from their own package guile 1.8 can exist happily alongside guile 2.0. I'll send a link to my spec files in a couple of days but the rule is package the libraries in their own versioned package to accommodate the likes of gnucash and make everything else mutually exclusive ie. libguile1 can exist with libguile2 and guile 1.8 uninstalls guile 2.0. The $datadir files are versioned already as well. There's the pkgconfig file that can be easily manipulated if need be but that is part of the devel package anyway.
Hope this helps, I'll read it again when I wake up in the morning and correct
anything stupid.

Dave