Re: Text hyphenation

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Text hyphenation
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:53:55 +0200

2011/9/28 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

> I really, really dislike `--' within a textual environment.  Remember
> that you aren't going to enter such a soft hyphen character very often
> since it is necessary only in the cases where (yet-to-be-implemented)
> automatic hyphenation fails or gives unsatisfying results.

You shouldn't worry so much about it, then ;P

> Additionally, all text editors provide search-and-replace
> functionality, so any other character can be used as well first which
> then gets replaced by `\-'.

If i understood correctly ("user can type '--' in his file and than
search-and-replace it to '\-' "), that's anti-usability and
anti-userfrindliness at it's best.

I will keep repeating (sorry): better change lyric hyphen command than
use different commands for lyric hyphen and markup hyphenation.  I
don't care that much about what the command actually will be - both
'--' and '\-' are quite fine to me (i could live with '=' too) - as
long as it's the same in both cases.

cheers,
Janek