Re: Removes ugly side bars from learning (issue 5498089)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Removes ugly side bars from learning (issue 5498089)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:06:33 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden> To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:42 PM

Just some very minor queries.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5498089/diff/1/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely
File Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5498089/diff/1/Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely#newcode853
Documentation/learning/common-notation.itely:853: <c e g>\>[ <c f a> <c
f a> <c e g>]\! |
If we're breaking a line then should we re-state the duration.

I.e. <c e g>8\>[ <c ...

I assume this is not strictly required, but is the style used in the manuals? Fixed in my local copy but won't upload another patch just for this.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5498089/diff/1/Documentation/learning/templates.itely
File Documentation/learning/templates.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5498089/diff/1/Documentation/learning/templates.itely#newcode162
Documentation/learning/templates.itely:162:
@lilypondfile[verbatim,quote,ragged-right,texidoc,line-width=140]
Is any merit in preference to editing the snippet than forcing the issue
in the Tex code within the itely file?

http://codereview.appspot.com/5498089/

The problem is that the offending part of the score is right-justified, so the snippet would need to have either a different page size or not have that text entry to work. This was the only way I can think of doing it - it's related to issue http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1691 which has a long and convoluted history. Given the simplicity of this approach I'd rather do this to complete the correction of the manual that a lot of other complicated stuff.

In passing I need to mention that I had not implemented the same fix to the mensural template, but again I have done locally. This involves a change to the use of \remove "Forbid_line_break_engraver" in snippet 363.

--
Phil Holmes