Re: critical issues

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 11:59:02 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:44 AM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>

There is a _reason_ the remaining OSX and Windows based developers
are doing (definitely important) documentation and web site work.
They are to a large degree locked out and dependent on support from
surplus GNU/Linux-based developer capacities.  We are not doing them
any favors by killing LilyPond development as a whole out of sympathy
with their plight.

Not at all.  I think you know that myself and James are mainly Windows
users.  We also run big Ubuntu machines that support the build
environment. However, we came to the development from being Windows
users.  Cut off that supply and I'll probably stop supporting Lily,
which I would regret.

You are compiling your own binaries without using GNU/Linux in the
process?

That's what a native development environment would look like.

No. I have an Ubuntu VM which I use for quick experiments and a very fast Ubuntu PC which I use for full builds. But I support lilypond because I _use_ it for typesetting music on a _Windows_ machine. Take away that ability to use it, and the sesire to support goes away.

- what does this do to our ONLY documentation writers and
  reviewers (who are all windows-based)?  Will they be a) more
  motivated to work on lilypond, b) no change, or c) less
  motivated?

We are already screwing them over with GNU/Linux-only "developer
releases".  When will we stop using our Windows and OSX developers as
an excuse for not working on a stable release that would actually
warrant the effort of getting GUB working again and matched to
current Windows and OSX releases?

Not true - see above.

Documentation and web writing without a functional lilypond-book strikes
me as somewhat difficult.

I don't use lilypond-book for day-day activity - only lilypond development.

It is nice that things are not as completely broken as I thought.  But I
still think that our effectively current philosophy of "the next stable
release is something only developers interested in Windows and OSX need
to concern themselves with" is doing anybody a favor.  Our road map has
nothing to offer beyond GUB, and so there is little interest in getting
even there.

I think you've mis-stated the philosophy. It's "the next stable release is something that will benefit users of many operating systems, including many flavours of Unix, plus windows and MAC".

--
Phil Holmes