Re: windows lilypond-book.py

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: windows lilypond-book.py
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:10:00 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:55 AM

oh mao... ok, does window still have a C:\TEMP ?  There's got to
be some directory you can write to... if not, please create such a
directory.  I recommend C:\TEMP so that you don't need to type a
lot.

Hhm.  There seems to be well-known problems with redirection
in Windows.  See for example
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2006-April/032805.html

So I think this is the difficulty rather than the protection of Program Files.
Actually, applications _can_ write to Program Files.  What happens is
the output is actually placed in ~/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files
I guess this is so different users can use a common app, as well as
a protection mechanism - .exe files in VirtualStore can't be executed,
but .py files can.

Then, please try doing
 dir > C:\TEMP\log.txt
on the command-line.

It doesn't work - access is denied.

If that doesn't work, then I rely on you to
figure out how to do this in windows.  Maybe it can't have any
space between the > and C: or something weird like that, or maybe
you need to do something special to enable write permission to
C:\TEMP, or whatever.

Yes, you need to create the directory, c:/temp, then edit the permissions
to give you write access or full control.  You need to be an administrator
to do this.

Once you can run that command yourself, then please copy the exact
command into the relevant part of test-process.py or
test-process2.py if you're using that one.

Having created c:/temp with the required permissions then this
works:

   cmd = "dir > c:/temp/log.txt"

Having done that I then get

$ python test-subprocess2.py
**** Begin testing 7
0. return code:  0
sleep
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "test-subprocess2.py", line 48, in ?
   main ()
 File "test-subprocess2.py", line 41, in main
   time.sleep(1)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Trevor