Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:47:10 +0000

LGTM

On 2012/01/15 08:05:35, Graham Percival wrote:
With this recipe, the
broken-staging will be in the developer's personal dev/cg branch.

Is there any way we can avoid this?

1) We could accept it as a consequence of re-writing the public history
on origin/staging.  When the developer does his next rebase -i he should
recognize that some commits are not his, and remove them from the rebase
 --or test them and fix the problem that forced the rewind of staging.

2) We could introduce both 'merge' and 'rebase' in the guide:
 git checkout staging
 git reset --hard origin/staging # reset local staging to the repository
 git merge dev/cg               # bring your new commits into local
staging
 git rebase -i origin/staging # rewrite local history to put the new
commits last
 gitk                 # check that the commits look as you intended
 git push origin/staging