Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:33:38 +0000

On 2012/01/16 16:16:40, Carl wrote:

Having just spent half an hour fixing up my lilygit.tcl branch, I
have personally validated the benefit of the approach now reflected
in this patch.

I will *never* again rebase a working branch to origin/staging.  In
fact, I will never again have a local branch staging.

Well, YMMV.  I get by with repairing things from time to time via
git rebase --onto ...
and so I do rebase to origin/staging sometimes in order to get testable
results without having to take care of not losing work done on a
detached branch when going elsewhere.  It does mean you need to be
careful about what you commit, and occasionally high-octane repair work
(git has the tools for that, but it is not exactly straightforward).
But what I indeed don't use is a local branch staging.  Maintaining it
in a useful and consistent state is more trouble than it is worth to me.

Instead, I will only rebase my working branches to origin/master, and
do a
detached head rebase to origin/staging for pushing purposes.  I assume
this will
save me time periodically.  And although the time saved may not be
huge, the
aggravation saved will  be.

Thanks for getting me to work on this, Graham.  The time has now been
all worth
it.

"I survived LilyPond development" sounds like a good thing to put on
your resume.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/