Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:08:00 +0000

On 2012/01/17 20:31:24, Graham Percival wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 08:24:35PM +0000,
mailto:address@hidden wrote:
> could we change this (and other similar) prefix so that it doesn't
> contain a slash?  I mean, change dev/ to dev- or something like
that.
> The slash confused me a lot, because it's also used to separate a
remote
> name from the branch name, like in origin/master.  I'm sure that if
we
> will adopt "dev/blahblah" naming, many people will mistakenly
believe
> that "dev" is something like "origin", and they will be very
confused.

Good point!  I like it.

I don't.  We have / as a directory indicator in file names, and we have
a whole bunch of branches on git that use / as the equivalent thing -- a
grouping of like branches (see, for example, stable/2.12, stable/2.14,
etc.

The / is perfectly consistent as a separator, and it works very similar
to / in unix.  dev/cg is a local branch dev/cg; origin/dev/cg is the
remote branch on origin.

I'd be fine with eliminating the separator, and just calling the branch
local-working (for example).  But at the origin of this all, Graham
wanted people used to putting stuff in dev/*, since origin/dev/* is
where individual users store there work on the public repository if they
want to.  Changing this to origin/dev- would be a mistake, in my
opinion.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode297
> Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:297: git branch dev/cg
> I think it would be good to be verbose, because it will give people
more
> information about using git (and they won't have to ask certain
> questions).  In this case i would suggest
>
> git branch dev/cg --track origin/master

But we don't want it to track origin/master, do we?  People should
merge from master manually (covered in this section).

We absolutely do *not* want tracking, in my opinon.  The only branch I
want tracking in a novice's repository is master.  And we give
instructions that they never merge to master -- only to staging.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode318
> Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:318: @qq{profit}, I mean
> @qq{push stuff to staging}.
> i think this fragment is irrelevant here.  It confuses me.

I don't mind removing it...

I'll come up with some other wording.  I liked the light-hearted words,
but can see that non-native speakers would miss the idiom.

> I'd write something like
> "You can switch to your local branches and to the remote branches as
> well"
> instead.

... but *this* confuses me.  How can git switch to a remote
branch?  Aren't all branches local?  I mean, whenever you switch
to a "remote" branch, doesn't that just create a local copy of the
remote branch, then put you on that local branch?

This isn't a git tutorial, but a using git with lilypond tutorial.  I'll
add something like
"You can create a local branch with your work on a particular issue to
facilitate patching, review, and merging with the main repository."

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode345
> Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:345: Add a file, then
commit
> it:
> I'd write
> "by default, git commit -a only commits changes to the files that
> existed before you made your changes.  If you want to include a file
> created by you in the commit, use git add:"

That's much more verbose, and it only affects 1% of git usage.
There's certainly a better wording than what is written currently,
but I don't think this is it.

I'll think about it and propose changes.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode360
> Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:360: @subsubheading Save
> commits manually (optional)
> I suggest changing this to
> "save commits to external files" or sth. like that.

Good idea!

Will make the change.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode362
> Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:362: Branches are
> nerve-wracking until you get used to them.  You can
> Insert "After you committed your changes, you can..."
>
> (format-patch doesn't work with uncommitted changes)

+1

Will fix.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode463
> Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:463: If everything looks
> good, push it:
> maybe "push it to the staging branch located on remote origin"?
This
> will give contributor more information about what he is doing (=
less
> questions to answer).

I think that mentioning "local" or "remote" will only add
confusion.  The goal is not to explain how to use git; the goal is
to let people use git as painlessly as possible.

IMO, the goal is to let people use git *to work on lilypond* as
painlessly as possible.  So it's fair (and desirable) to put in
specifics for the organization of our repositories.

Thanks,

Carl

http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/