Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:46:52 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:34 PM

James <address@hidden> writes:

Hello,

On 24 January 2012 22:20, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

Keeping the staging-merge going would be about five people
committing to 50€ a month. That is, of course, not enough for me to
live on. It merely means that taking on this duty will not further
reduce the amount of time I can spend on LilyPond in total.

That would be a waste of your skills.

The skills will eventually become unavailable anyway if nobody pays for
either major or minor variants of them, so that should be the smallest
worry. I have not offered to do it for free, anyway. If the time I
spend on that is paid for, it is no loss to anybody.

I don't have a 24/7 computer,

Neither is a laptop, but I'd still get some stuff done.

but if no one else will volunteer i can run Patchy (the skills
necessary are quite like mine). I only need to pass my exams - 9 days
left till i have lots of time to investigate and improve Patchy (with
Julien's help).

I have a machine that I can keep running 24/7 (well I have electricity
24/7, Internet connection probably about 20/7) and have already
offered (and been trying) to run patchy but with limited success this
week.

Patchy has been running for about 6 hours on my laptop trying to get the
current staging (which is one trivial commit ahead of master) checked.
And is still on it.  It bogs down development use to a crawl.  At least
with this (the quite old laptop, about 1Ghz single core, since the last
laptop died on me) this is not a serious option for LilyPond
development.  Even when the replacement laptop arrives, it will not be
much of an option if development is to continue.  I might see whether I
manage to get the laptop with the dead screen working remotely, but I
doubt it will take less than 4 hours for a patchy run.

So seriously: this needs to move to a different computer if LilyPond
development is of concern to you all.

I'm in the middle of revising for my main exam on Monday 30th. I'll have far more free time next week, then 2 weeks off the following weeks. I'll try to work out what needs doing on Tuesday.

Does patchy just run make and make test, or does it do make doc as well?

As you know, David, my Unix and git skills are close to zero, so it might be a good use of your time (or someone else who can do this) to write an idiot's guide to patchy - that might mean I can get up and running in less than a day. I'd be happy to CG-ise these later.

--
Phil Holmes