Re: issues to verify -> no more releases

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: issues to verify -> no more releases
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:23:03 +0100

Colin Hall <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 01:45:26PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 01:40:49PM +0000, Colin Hall wrote:
>>
>> > My understanding is that they still all need to be tested. I'm
>> > travelling from Saturday but I'll try to get through as many as I
>> > can between now and then.
>>
>> tested?  Nope, verification *is* testing.  Once 2149 is handled,
>> there is no need for Bug Squad members to do anything with the
>> "issues to verify" list until 2.15.28 is out.
>
> OK, that's very clear. Thanks!

The CG _explicitly_ states:

     Quite a few of these will be issues tracking patches.  *You do not
     have to prove these patches work - simply that they have been
     pushed into the code base.*  The developer should have put
     information similar to "Pushed as as
     d8fce1e1ea2aca1a82e25e47805aef0f70f511b9" in the tracker.  The
     long list of letters and numbers is called the "committish".
     Providing you can find this at the git tracker:

          `http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git'

     then you should mark the issue as verified.  A quick way of
     finding these is to enter the committish at the following address:

          `http://philholmes.net/lilypond/git/'

     A few (approximately 10%) of the fixed issues relate to the build
     system or fundamental architecture changes; there is no way for
     you to verify these.  Leave those issues alone; somebody else will
     handle them.

This is rather weak sauce and yet some of those issues have not been
verified for months.  I have gone to the pain to make sure that the
respective commits are present in the releases given in "Fixed_*": there
have been a few inaccuracies.

The CG instructions do not even demand that bit of accuracy.

There will be 18(!) issues to verify once 2.15.28 is out.  I am not
really planning to pitch in again when we have, in theory, people
assigned to that task.  It is not like I have nothing else to do for
LilyPond.