Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 18:50:55 +0100

On Feb 6, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Neil Puttock wrote:

> On 6 February 2012 16:59,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Should have added before: the most recent patch set is not bug free.
>
> Cyclic dependencies for TextScript Y-offset.
>
> But you've just fixed that by the look of it. ;)

"fixed" is a generous word for what I've done...
I've removed the Y-offset check, but the issue now is that anything with
outside-staff-priority and vertical-skylines will have its Y-offset ignored
when it is being moved.
This means that it could come in lower than what it would be if the original
offset were there.

if you add the line:
elements[i]->relative_offset (y_common, Y_AXIS);
anywhere in the loop from which I removed the Y-offset and then run
volta-multi-staff.ly, you'll see a strange shift in the volta bracket.
i have absolutely no idea what is causing this - it'll take me some time to
sort it out.
in the final patch, though, the relative_offset would need to be factored in so
that grobs with outside staff priority could not dip below their
relative_coordinate.

>> I'm fixing all of the regtest issues, but what I need most from other
>> people who have a few minutes are benchmarks.
>
> L'Isle joyeuse:
>
> master: 0m30.432s
> patched: 0m46.997s
>
> Psalm 94 (Reubke):
>
> master: 1m31.692s
> patched: 2m0.817s

Thanks!
In my opinion, these times are too high to justify the gain that one gets from
using fine-tuned vertical skylines.  In the final version of the patch, I'll
limit them to slurs, ties, tuplet-brackets, volta repeats, and treble clefs.
Other grobs' vertical-skylines can be turned on via overrides for anyone who
wants tighter spacing.  We can even create a tight-spacing.ly file that people
can include to get the overrides in one fell swoop.

Cheers,
MS