Re: google summer of code

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:52:05 +0100

On Feb 10, 2012, at 6:44 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 2012/2/9 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>>>
>>> Probably something like GSoC for "grace timing" would be overkill.
>>> OTOH, if a student starts from a blank slate and mentoring is not
>>> doing half the job already on its own, there might be less time left
>>> after a _good_ solution has been implemented than one might think.
>>
>> Sorry, i don't understand.  Do you think that grace timing is too
>> small or too big for GSoC?
>
> It _sounds_ too small, but may turn out to be quite a number.
> Basically, it requires a solid understanding of iterators, analyzing the
> music events occuring in grace situations, designing iteration orders
> useful for typesetting and MIDI replay, and making everything work with
> them.  Iterators are not really the best documented corner of LilyPond.

It'd be great as well to see you work on your font-related projects such as
different flag and accidental glyphs.  Also, I'm guessing that one does not
need to devote 100% of one's GSoC time to writing lines of code.  LilyPond also
needs lots of problems framed in terms of examples from the literature
alongside the corresponding (possibly deficient) ly code.  You also do that
really well and it'd be great to have a formalized way of establishing goals
via this sort of research.

Cheers,
MS