Re: google summer of code

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:43:06 +0100

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:59:12AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > So, are there any reasons not to do it?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>
> Time+effort required to write a proposal.

I would expect the "student" to do most of that.  It would be rather
pointless to recruit people not already familiar with LilyPond
development.  They would not get enough achieved in the required time
frame to make this not frustrating for all involved parties.

>> If the student does not expect the mentor to be dragging him all the
>> way (and LilyPond is not exactly beginner's terrain), I don't see
>> much of a problem here.  Maybe I am naive.
>
> The mentor is expected to spend some amount of time with the
> student.  Maybe it's one hour per week; maybe it's an hour each
> working day.  I'm not certain -- check their FAQ.

Many of the developers here _are_ spending some amount of time with
people learning the ropes already.  Seems mostly like business as usual
would be required.