Re: google summer of code

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:23:00 +0100

On 11/02/2012 14:00, Graham Percival wrote:
> I believe that one of the major things that GSoC looks are is "how
> good is the list of tasks suggested by that project".

Yes, most applicants (who are not yet involved with a project) will
simply look at the list and select one of the suggested projects.
Students, who are already developers for a project, tend to have their
own suggestions.

At least that's my experience a while ago as a SoC mentor for KDE.

> Except that the mentor needs to (IIRC) sign an agreement
> specifying that they *will* continue to do that.  And it needs to
> be a single mentor.

I can't remember any formal agreement. But anyway, Google was not that
strict, and my students didn't need any help (I was co-mentoring with
someone else, but I can't remember any time-consuming problems with the
students)

> It's sounding as though lilypond is a bad fit for GSoC, so perhaps
> we should just drop it.

Don't worry. The lilypond developer community consists of many brilliant
heads, who can and probably will help out, if a mentor is tied up with
something else. No one says that a student must only communicate with
the mentor.

My feeling was also that Google gave the project a loot of freedom to
decide on the accepted projects, how to administer them and how to
decide on the success of the students.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886