Re: google summer of code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:45:00 +0000

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 02:32:31PM +0100, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> W dniu 11 lutego 2012 13:33 użytkownik Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> napisał:
> > Time+effort required to write a proposal.  Would you be happy
> > delaying the 2.16 for, say, a month, while we spend effort writing
> > that proposal (which may or may not be accepted) ?  When all's
> > said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked out to that
> > much effort.
>
> I'll gladly spend some time on preparing the proposal.

Ok, maybe spend an hour or two and see what you come up with.

> We can set prerequisites like C++, git and music (notation) knowledge,
> so that we won't have to mentor people about this (takes a lot of
> time).

Agreed about git.  Not certain about music notation; there's a lot
of good work that somebody can do even if they have difficulty
finding FACE on a treble cleff.  OTOH, it might be nice
"advertising" for us -- it would make lilypond "stand out" in the
list of project requirements.

I'm very uncertain about listing C++.  There's a ton of stuff that
people can do with scheme only.  If anything, we might want to
list scheme... but then again, there's a lot of things that can be
done without scheme.

> > But that's the whole point of GSoC.
>
> In the FAQ Google explicitly says that people familiar with the
> project can participate.

ok, but the application definitely shouldn't say that previous
experience with lilypond is required.