Re: Announce discontinuation of MacOSX support for versions 10.4 and old

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Announce discontinuation of MacOSX support for versions 10.4 and older (issue 2271) (issue 5653057)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:16:53 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> I have mixed feelings about this patch.  Given that adding osx 10.4 ppc
> support is a two-line patch -- smaller than this one! -- it feels a bit
> weird to move ahead with this.  However, there is clearly no desire to
> actually create that two-line patch, so I guess that removing support is
> the thing to do.

I have no clue at all about the actual work involved, but it sounded to
me like it also involved considerable effort in compiling, testing and
uploading things, and then wait for feedback.  If we claim something to
be supported, it is not enough to say "we think it may work".

If that two-line patch possibly causes us to have to reiterate several
times before OSX 10.7 gets working again, it is quite more expensive
than "2 lines" sounds like.  If there is no such risk, one can do the
patch, declare the platform "unsupported", and go on without testing.

Again: I don't have a clue about the involved work.  But if it isn't
happening, there is no point in never releasing something for those
platforms which we _do_ actively support.