Re: [frogs] Re: New frog in an empty pond?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [frogs] Re: New frog in an empty pond?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:58:30 +0100

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 04:52:00PM -0800, Janek Warchol wrote:
>> It would be good indeed if you have a mentor; unfortunately, i don't think
>> you'll find one here, on frogs.  It's hard to find a mentor in general...
>> I'm not much Lily-knowledgeable, so i don't think i would be a good mentor
>> for you,
>
> Really?  Which responsibility are you unable to fulfill?  There
> are 7 responsibilities.  Tell me the EXACT number that you cannot
> do.
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/mentors
> (note that points 4 and 5 should be rewritten for the new patch
> handling and staging)
>
> Pavel Roskin is doing everything right.  He's clearly read the CG,
> he's submitted stuff to rietveld, he's actively trying to get help
> in the manner that we want people to ask for help.  But once his
> patches get through the countdown, nobody wants to bother taking
> responsibility for getting the final git patch and pushing it.
> He's one of the easiest people to mentor.

Of course i can do it.  (Pavel, if you have problems with getting the
patch pushed, or you have trouble getting reviews, or it seems that
your patch is being overlooked - let me know and i'll try to help!)
My concern was that Pavel's a skilled contributor whose primary need
is advice on coding - for example cross-staff stems thing.  All advice
i can provide (without digging through the code myself, which i'd love
to do but don't have time to because of Google Summer of Code and
other organizational stuff) was what i wrote: "try looking at grid
lines code".  That's definitely not enough for efficient mentoring :(
What i can do is provide advice on development-related things like
git.  If you know someone who know how to write his stuff but has
trouble getting it into system, let me know.
Actually, since a month i do want to do something about patchy, git-cl
and CG to make this process more straightforward.  But i got so busy
with GSoC (that's urgent) and other things that drop in occasionally
(and someone has to take care about them, or they are important and
need testing (i'm good at testing) like Mike's skylines) that i can't
(i even stopped thinking about Kickstarter project).  I'm already
quite often not sleeping because of Lily and it's going to be worse.

> Last summer, you were very vocal about wanting mentors for new
> contributors.  If you can't handle Pavel, then I think I'll just
> remove all mention of "mentors" from the docs.  It was a cute
> idea, but it hasn't worked yet, and there's no reason to think
> that it will work in the future.  Right now it just gives false
> hope to new contributors.

Do whatever you want.  But since Mike is Pavel's mentor, i don't think
it's that bad.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Łukasz Czerwiński <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek,
>
> From my experience of work with you, I think you are a great mentor :D
> Of course you don't know the whole Lilypond, but it's not so important - in
> such case you know who you could ask (Graham, Mike etc.).
> The most important is that thanks to your tips and guidance new contributors
> would get help needed to start contributing.

wow, thanks!
I should definitely find some new "apprentices". but i better finish
what i do now first.

cheers,
JAenk