Re: [frogs] Re: New frog in an empty pond?

From: Łukasz Czerwiński
Subject: Re: [frogs] Re: New frog in an empty pond?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 16:46:17 +0100

Janek,

From my experience of work with you, I think you are a great mentor :D
Of course you don't know the whole Lilypond, but it's not so important - in such case you know who you could ask (Graham, Mike etc.).
The most important is that thanks to your tips and guidance new contributors would get help needed to start contributing.

Łukasz

On 23 February 2012 13:18, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 04:52:00PM -0800, Janek Warchol wrote:
> It would be good indeed if you have a mentor; unfortunately, i don't think
> you'll find one here, on frogs.  It's hard to find a mentor in general...
> I'm not much Lily-knowledgeable, so i don't think i would be a good mentor
> for you,

Really?  Which responsibility are you unable to fulfill?  There
are 7 responsibilities.  Tell me the EXACT number that you cannot
do.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/mentors
(note that points 4 and 5 should be rewritten for the new patch
handling and staging)

Pavel Roskin is doing everything right.  He's clearly read the CG,
he's submitted stuff to rietveld, he's actively trying to get help
in the manner that we want people to ask for help.  But once his
patches get through the countdown, nobody wants to bother taking
responsibility for getting the final git patch and pushing it.
He's one of the easiest people to mentor.

Last summer, you were very vocal about wanting mentors for new
contributors.  If you can't handle Pavel, then I think I'll just
remove all mention of "mentors" from the docs.  It was a cute
idea, but it hasn't worked yet, and there's no reason to think
that it will work in the future.  Right now it just gives false
hope to new contributors.