Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:59:27 +0100

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> As the person who wrote a lot of stuff for tablature and removed the
> stems and stuff by default,

"made them transparent"

> I second that it is an ugly workaround.
>
> Ideally, I had removed the stem/flag engraver completely from
> TabVoice, but then again, the slur engraver (and some others as well
> IIRC) complains when there is no stem to be taken into account when
> calculating the control points.

Sounds to me like you did what you had to in order to get results at
your comfort level with the code.

But we really should straighten this out at the right place.  I don't
think that transparency should play a role in skyline calculations.
Transparent items are _exactly_ needed to make room for stuff that
otherwise would not fit.  Not for circumventing code that has not yet
catered for every sensible use case.

I appreciate it that Mike is a remarkably gifted and clever programmer,
but his code should not need to be running circles around old code.  The
code base should make sense as a whole.